Saturday, February 20, 2010

Educate Your Expectations

Educate Your Expectations

Think back to when you first started you career… fresh out of high school, college, military, etc. Did you master your job on the first day? As I remember my experience, I was nervous, scared to answer the phone, I felt like people were looking at me funny, and I made lots of mistakes; but luckily not bad enough to lose my job! So now my question is why do you think losing weight, gaining muscle, toning up, or whatever your goals are will happen overnight?

You have to educate your expectations! I got this term from a lady named Artemis whom won the EAS Body for Life competition some time ago. One of the things I learned from her is that just because I couldn’t do some of the “Yoga X” moves the first time, doesn’t mean I quit and say that I can’t do it. Sometimes the process is more important than actually winning. You build character, determination, and learn how much you can handle when you focus. For example: does it matter how long it takes a baby to learn to walk? Whether its 9 months or over a year, the baby never stops the process of learning to walk. It doesn’t know any better or how to quit; and after many stumbles and falls, he/she finally wobbles across the room and is as excited and happy as can be J For some reason, we adults lose that sticktoitness (it’s a word, look it up lol) Well, I said all of that to say this: Don’t give up!!! Keep pushing play, staying on schedule, not skipping certain workouts because you feel it’s too hard and you’ll never learn. Keep tumbling, falling until one day you’re strong enough to take your first walk across the room.

“Cut off the TV for bout’ an hour, DO something instead that will give you power…” Tovoris A. King

No comments:

Post a Comment